is situated on part of the original grant
of land made to the Cowper family by Governor
Macquarie in 1812.
Sir Charles Cowper, son of Rev William Cowper, later to become Premier of New South Wales for several terms, built the original (Camden stone) house. He was married to Eliza Sutton from Wivenhoe in Essex. They had four children, Mrs Hugh Robinson, Mr E G Wood, Charles Cowper Jnr and Mr William Harrington.
colonial house (1837) and Wivenhoe Stables
(1834) is attributed to the architect John
Verge who also designed such famous houses
as Camden Park (the home of the Macarthurs)
and Elizabeth Bay House.
Wivenhoe is a Mediterranean style villa situated on the Mater Dei property. It is close to both Cobbitty and Narellan and stands on a ridge overlooking Camden Valley and Camden Airport, with views to the Razorback Range. Wivenhoe is of both State and National Heritage significance and is the only extant example of a bell cast roof that was carved from a single beam.
is an ideal venue for:
24 hours notice)
on the first Sunday of each month (February to December)
House is open to the Public for
Tours from 10.00am to 3.00pm.
donation of $5 is kindly requested.