Wivenhoe vineyards were amongst the first
in the colony and were producing wine in
1840. The casks were stored in Wivenhoe’s
extensive cellars. History tells us that
on 2 July 1848 , George Cox of Mulgoa and
Mudgee obtained 1,000 Hermitage cuttings
from Charles Cowper’s vineyard, thus indicating
that a vineyard had been well established
at Wivenhoe by this date. In 1849, a German
Vinedresser, Johannes Justus, came to work
for Charles Cowper.
present Vineyard was replanted on 14 August
1998 and a small quantity of Chardonnay
wine resulted in 2001, the Centenary
Year of Federation.
2002, some 800 litres of wine were produced,
proceeds of which will go to furthering
the education and support of the students
of Mater Dei.